Emotions
The cool wood lays smooth under my hands. The warmth cascades my back. Birds flutter past, echoing the song beyond the doorway. I lean listening, calling, urging me inside. Slowly, gently I push the grand doorway open. It creaks loudly-the cry of movement. I hesitate, has the singing stopped? I listen tentatively. No, the hymns drift slowly my way. The rhythm, the note of faith, worship.
My feet whisper an echo as I stroll down the stone aisle. My fingertips glide across rows and rows of worshippers. The singing stops, oh please keep going, I plead. A new rhythm starts. One heard many times before. I hear the shuffle of movement, all whispering turned my way.
I grip the stems of roses tightly. The abandoned thorns pierce my skin. The lose, flowing fabric muffles the fast shuffle my feet have increased to. Will I ever get there? A cough interrupts my train of helpless thoughts. I am still surrounded.
I push the roses up to my nose. Smooth sweet petals engulf my face. My shoulders relax. This is the day, I think, this is my day.
I reluctantly carry on, down an unknown path.
“Don’t be afraid.”, I hear my mothers voice. “Don’t be afraid.”
Stronger, my eyes closed, for I know with them open I would turn around. I eventually stop. A warm, safe hand covers mine. I flood with relief, I made it.
The talking begins, I try to concentrate but the warm hand in mine prevents it. A different language surrounds me, fills my ears. The hand squeezes mine. I awake from my thoughts.
“I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride.”, A happy voice in my language chimes.
A kiss. Happiness unexpectedly engulfs me. I feel an urge to fly. To echo with the birds outside. The bells chime as I get swept off my feet. We glide into the warmth. Happy, joyful laughter fills me. More petals drift, covering my hair. The cathedral empties. My fear with it.
By Ariane Dalton
Blind Blue
A rush of cool ocean splashes up to your knees. You shiver. A breeze enfolds you. You shiver again. Slowly your arms wrap around your body, blocking the wind, chasing it away with your warmth. Gently you remove one hand and place it in the sea. The water numbs your fingers. As you bring your fingers up to your mouth, the salty taste tingles on your lips. Rain starts to fall, drenching you. It cleans away the saltiness. Splashes, hundreds of splashes surround you. The droplets seem to be crying quietly, help, help, help. The level has risen, the push and pull of the current drags you. You have to leave but the cool ocean holds you, urging you to go deeper, to fill your lungs with the salty blue of the sea. Another unseen force pulls you the other way. Safety, oxygen, life. Slowly, carefully you turn. A wave crashes over you. Almost immediately, you hear a calmness, more calm and more silent than you have ever heard before. A salty taste fills your mouth, your nose, your lungs. The giant blue blankets over you. Sounds fade, feelings fade. No more breeze to chill you.
By Ariane Dalton
No comments:
Post a Comment