Friday, 23 March 2012

Finding inspiration

It's sometimes hard finding inspiration, so this one is based on one of my dreams...
Darkness
I don’t know how long I have been hiding here. I listen to every sound around me intently, fearing that any rustle means they are coming for me. The ground underneath me is cold and the dampness has seeped through my clothing. My legs are stiff from sitting up against my chest and I can feel pins and needles in my hands. The tree I’m leaning against is starting to create an ache in my back. But I dare not move from my hiding place. Twisted branches of bushes and the blackness of night conceal my hiding place.
My eyes have adjusted to the darkness. I see a heavy fog settling around the lake. This is when they come out. I consider my options: move further from the lake, but then any noise I make may give me away or stay where I am and hope the dirt and leaves that cling to my clothes conceal my scent enough that I am not found.
I watch the fog creeping closer. I feel the air get heavy as it drifts my way. Is that something moving by the lake or is it just the fog swirling in the wind? I narrow my eyes, hoping it will make my vision clearer. The movement becomes more pronounced. This is not just air moving; it’s one of them. How did the human race come to be such horrible creatures? Not that you can call it human anymore. This is just a result of years and years of messing with our DNA.
My heart rate increases and my breathing becomes shallow. Don’t panic. I have to move now. I get up slowly, my knees cracking from having been bent for so long. I hope it doesn’t hear me. I can see it creeping closer. I push the bushes aside as quietly as possible and start running in the opposite direction, avoiding any fallen leaves or sticks that may crunch and give me away.
I turn my head back to see if it is following me. I can’t see anything from here, but can’t be sure, so keep running. My lungs start burning, but I know I have to keep going. I zigzag through the trees, trying to make my trail less obvious.
The clusters of trees are beginning to become denser, making it more difficult to weave. I trip on a protruding root and feel myself fly through the air, almost in slow motion. I hit the uneven ground hard and hear a loud snap. Pain shoots through my ankle. I try to twist my body out of the awkward angle I landed in, causing the pain to sear up through my leg. I grit my teeth, holding in the scream of pain that is threatening to break through. No, this can’t be happening. How could I have let this happen? Through the pain, I feel tears of anger run down my face.
I hear the distinctive sound of it approaching – dragging footsteps and heavy breathing. I need to hide. I look at my ankle and see my foot bent in the wrong direction. Blood stains the hem of my pants. I pull them up, high enough to inspect the injury more and clench my teeth tighter as the pain threatens to knock me out. I can see the white of bone sticking through the skin.
I hear the footsteps coming closer. Slowly and quietly I try to push myself up on my good leg, keeping all weight possible off my broken ankle. I can’t do it and fall back to the forest floor. I can hear the heavy breathing more clearly now, it must have almost found me, and the scent of my blood will be leading it straight to me. I should have stayed in my hiding place by the lake. I should have taken my chances. But it’s too late for that now. So this is how I die. I close my eyes, giving into my fate. I focus on my breathing, counting every breath that goes in and out. My final moments of life will be spent on a cold, damp forest floor.
It’s found me now, I can tell. Its ragged breathing has increased and I can hear its grunts. I turn my head and stare into its empty yet hungry eyes. I close my eyes, ready for the horrible death that awaits me. I hear its feet shuffle right next to me. I feel its weight slam on my head. The darkness comes quickly… 
 By Ariane Dalton

No comments:

Post a Comment