Ok, so this is half of a short story - the rest is still to come BUT most importantly, do you want to know what happens next?
Silence
Silence. It can create pressure, anxiety and even fear. It can be loud and overwhelming. But right now, concentrating on the silence is a good distraction. I look out of the window over the lake. The sunlight dances across the small waves created by the wind that has picked up outside. I should really stop procrastinating.
I came here for a reason and concentrating on silence and the lake is not it. I get up off the couch and walk through to the kitchen. It’s untouched, as if no one has been here. I remind myself to keep it that way. I know my parents would not be impressed if they knew I was at the lake house. I’m not even supposed to drive at the moment. But I guess the rules are made to be broken, especially today.
I pull out my phone and take a deep breath. No new messages. Ok, it’s now or never before I start distracting myself with something else. I scroll through my contacts and select his name. “I’m here now, the front door is unlocked”, I type in letter by letter. I’ve always hated predicative texting; it never seems to give me the words I want.
I put the phone on the marble kitchen top and walk back over to the couch. No point in hovering around it. I go back to staring at the lake and listening to the silence. This time the silence is unnerving. It seems to increase my anxiety as I anticipate any sound that may announce his arrival. I watch the trees swaying in the wind and clouds starting to gather in the sky. I hope there isn’t a storm coming. I try to keep my mind clear and alert and stop myself from letting any thoughts enter it. It’s amazing how hard it is to not think.
I look at my watch; 5.30pm. The sun is starting to set, creating an orangey red glow in the clouds. I start fidgeting, subconsciously biting the skin on the sides of my nails. I don’t know why I willingly put myself into situations like this. Maybe I secretly crave feeling anxious and afraid.
The crunching of gravel outside snaps me out of it. I hear his footsteps approaching. I don’t get up. What’s the point, I told him the front door is unlocked. I hold my breath, ready to see him. The door opens and there he is. Tall, dark and handsome; what a cliché. He holds onto the door handle, frozen, as he stares at me. I stare back and notice I am hugging my knees against my chest. I realise this makes me look scared and intimidated, so I quickly straighten up.
More silence. We both just stare at each other and neither of us seems to know what to do. The light in the room is starting to fade. It’s crazy to think that after all these years, it’s finally come to this...
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment